[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 12:15:33 UTC 2005

So...

I have worked a bit in the past 2 weeks in refactoring the Foundation Home Page, to merge it with Quarto.

PLEASE, do not consider the graphical aspect of it, it can LOOK different. I am very bad at graphics, so do not take this as the final look.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Anthere/home

What I would like to have feedback on is

* the content of the new page

* the way information is organised

* adding logos of sponsors or not (depending on how much they gave or how recently it was...)

* etc...

The main idea is to merge Quarto in the Foundation site, in such a way that

* most big categories are kept (so, it is not too difficult to "create" a pdf Quarto from the content from time to time if we have the will and energy...)

* topics normally edited by board members or officers will be directly editable on the website. Each officer will for example have a report page associated and this one will always be the same.

For example : for the hardware officer : http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Hardware_and_hosting_report

I kept Jimbo's letter (and whatever big messages he wishes to share with the community), while the board letter may contain a overview of WMF over time (organisation, collaborations etc...)

Each officer will have his own report page, which he can edit alone or with anyone he wishes (some links might be missing right now; I mostly want to give the idea)

* topics which can be created/offered by anyone will be created on meta. So fully editable. They will be later copied on the Foundation site or not.

For example, by Alterego (copied on the WMF site) : http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Projects/An_exciting_growth_%21

We can also include here all Specials, which might be report on Wikimania (no one feels like doing it it seems though) or Interviews etc...

I would love to see there stuff like [[How to use and reuse our content]] or [[All you ever wanted to know on our licences...]]

* A controversial point to validate : I would like that we introduce a "opinion area" or a "essay area" for personal texts of some of our proeminent members. These will be clearly labelled "not Foundation approved"... but naturally, we'll not let crazy text settle here :-)

* I left a prize and award which might be nicely featured in a special area with what often goes with it.... a picture of the prize... Currently, it is just a paragraph to suggest it should be here

* The road ahead will be mostly to announce major events (such as Wikimania, or WSIS ?) and planning.

* Controversially, I added a special area for donations and sponsorship... with some logos....

* And I finished with a little bit of corporate details, which might certainly be improved.

The right side is still allocated with current news...

---------------

When you go down in reports, you'll notice a [[archive]] link, which allow to go back in the past. See for example : http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report

As well as put some atemporal links (such as the link to the budget).

All reports might be categorized to better find them back as well.

Of course, all officers will be free to fill these quartely reports in the way that seems best to them. Imho, in most cases, a global report per quarter is best, but in some cases, adding information little by little when new stuff get done might be good as well.

I mostly wish/hope that information gets there...

Of course, most content is right now outdated. This is mostly to show what it could be. So do not complain about that please :-)

Now, I would love some feedback on all this. If no one says anything (as most of the time :-(...), I'll consider it an agreed and will put it on the main page soon (likely next week end).

Otherwise, please comment here, or on irc, or on the talk page if you can or wherever...

Thanks

Ant