[Foundation-l] New project : movies.mediawiki.org?

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Tue Oct 11 22:33:53 UTC 2005

Hi Magnus,

as for a general repository you could already use commons for it
creating .ogg thora files. I did it myself and it is quite easy to do
that. But it seems that there is one difficulty: the high resolution. I
was not able to create high resolution .ogg files and other formats
cannot be uploaded to commons.

As for free web TV there is one that already has over 3100
films/documentaries/interviews etc. online
http://www.arcoiris.tv

The website at this moment is online only in Italian, Spanish and
Portuguese (a translation into other languages would not be too
difficult)  - contents are available in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese,
English, French, German (only one), international (without words). Of
course most films are in Italian (over 3000). It is an online tv without
advertising in the films and withour censorship. I know for sure that
they are actively searching for further contents and they are going the
gfdl way where possible. Of course the films on their website have
different licenses and copyright.

So basically WikiVideo would have the same problem like commons: it
should use .ogg theora and therefore the resolution would not be the
highest - so commons could also be used (??).

Wouldn't it make sense to go both ways? On one hand the .ogg theora
repository (on commons) and on the other a free web TV that would not
have problems to use for example mpeg files?

As for program guides etc. there is a website of all available web tvs
around - I just cannot find the link - if wished I can pass you this
link (just need to search a bit).

I would like to keep this discussion not influenced by who is who
questions - so I for now will not describe who arcoiris.tv belongs to. I
would like to know your objective opinion about co-operating with such
an organisation.

Thank you and have a great evening/good night (depending on where you
live :-)

Ciao, Sabine