[Foundation-l] New project : movies.mediawiki.org?

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Mon Oct 10 09:00:25 UTC 2005

I am currently writing an application to manage my movie collection, and
looked around for online sources I can use to aid me in entering movie
information. I found amazon, which has a nice SOAP interface to their
DVD section. Then I looked at IMDB, which AFAIK is owned by amazon as
well, only to discover that they
* charge for database access /starting at $10000/
* explicly forbid HTML scraping

I remembered Jimbos 10-point-speech at Wikimaina. "Free the TV
programs"? Maybe we should free the movie information as well.

A wiki site based on WikiData (how's it going, BTW?;-) would be ideal to
do this. It would
* provide information for all the wikipedias
* provide information for the fre TV program listings :-)
* prove information for applications like the one I'm working on

For such a service, I would volunteer to integrate an upload function
into my software, making it possible to gather/write movie information
within the software and then upload it to WikiVideos (tm).

So, how about it? Or is there some large, free (in both ways) online
database that I've missed?

Magnus