[Foundation-l] wikiversity vote

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Oct 2 23:23:57 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just a little comment to the organisers of the vote on wikiversity (or
> at least to the people interested in the matter).
>
> Currently, half of the votes are invalid, due to the user failing to
> link his meta user page to a wikimedia project user page.
>
> It would be best to inforce this a bit, or to strike all those votes
> from now on to make voters realise that without a valid link to a user
> page, their vote will count for nothing at all.
>
> Anthere

I realize that many of those "invalid" votes are from people who are not
regular participants at Meta.  Indeed, this is getting a much broader
group of participants that I ever anticipated, with many people coming
in from projects or users that have never really cast a vote like this
before.  Some of them do link back to their user page where they
normally participate, and perhaps they should "create" an account on
meta.  I havn't seen too many obvious "sock puppet" votes, however.

Yes, the voting instructions do say that you must be a "registered user"
on Meta, and I believe that instruction was translated correctly to the
other voting instruction pages that are in other languages.  There has
been some strikeout text applied to some of the votes already.  Thanks
to all who are helping with the verification on this vote.  We really
don't have an "independent voting observer" for this vote, even though
technically it was required by the new project policy.  I did ask for
one on the Bable page at Meta, and so far there havn't been any takers.

On this issue, I think it would be hard pressed to find somebody without
an opinion anyway.

--
Robert Scott Horning