[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Wed Nov 30 18:07:08 UTC 2005

Fred Bauder wrote:
> The problem is that the bulk of our content has no explicit source.  It
> may be correct and unchallenged, but no source is listed.  Additionally,
> a slightly more sophisticated level of vandalism would  simply list a
> spurious source. Beyond that lies referencing a source  which is known
> to be in error.

It's not necessary to source *everything*. Paris is the capital of
France, everyone knows that. We don't need to cite some obscure French
governmental listing which proves this.

What does need to be cited are facts which are not common knowledge
(like statistics) and opinions which must be attributed.

I've now started removing any additions to pages I have on my watchlist
which I do not think are common knowledge and have no source for the
claims, and I have asked contributors to cite where they are getting
this information from.

Chris