[WikiEN-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Most read US newpaper blasts Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Nov 30 17:03:15 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>The problem is that we peaked way too early. The site is late-alpha or
>early beta at best, and should have big 1995-style yellow and black
>"UNDER CONSTRUCTION" GIFs with really bad aliasing on most pages.

I agree with this fairly strongly---Wikipedia is a work in progress, and
not currently intended to be a drop-in replacement for traditional
encyclopedias.  It is already very useful, but nobody should assume it
is done or even at some reasonable checkpoint (we're still, after all,
trying to figure out how to set up a checkpointing/rating system).

Anything that would compromise the general principles that have made
Wikipedia succeed for the sake of "right now" quality would be
disastrous, IMO.  Continuing to work on processes to produce levels of
vetting for articles (like the sifting or rating features) is of course
compatible with this.

-Mark