[Foundation-l] Most read US newpaper blasts Wikipedia

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 09:07:24 UTC 2005

Hi!

> But this clearly should be added to the wake up calls -- "SOFIXIT"
> does not cut it anymore. Wikipedia cannot enjoy the bragging rights of
> a "Top 40" web site without changing its quality standards to match.

Top30. Nearly. :) Anyway, from a majority view of non-contributing
users (or AApatheticW) site is good as is. This is the content trade
off and it will always be. Accepting possibility of being wrong is
charm, and it attracts more and more users. Because they find
information, even when it is wrong. It could be top3 website and
still have accidental asspuss images on mainpage.  It shows strength
of a project, not weakness.

Our rating systems would always be public and open source, and if
anyone wished, they could always abuse them.

People working on content shouldn't be forced to work on ratings or
validation. It is a waste of time for what was nearly efficiently
handled before. And there's something worse than non-rated content,
it's wrongly rated content. Who is going to rate those who do
ratings? A regular contributor may not have power and resources to
establish ratings for his version, when a PoV pusher applies some new
methodology of rating manipulation.

Personally I see it as a complex issue, in community, software and
hardware. I'd be happy if anyone could change my views. ;)

Domas

P.S. We should better preach gospels: http://www.forbes.com/lists/
2005/14/CH0027.html