[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE

Brian brian0918 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:19:21 UTC 2005

Walter van Kalken wrote:

>> It's an interesting idea, but it would apply to so many articles on
>> such a coarse grained way it may wind up being ignored. Perhaps such a
>> function could be tied to the TOC, so that each section would have a
>> flag of whether it had been sourced to satisfaction.
>>
>> -Andrew (User:Fuzheado)
>>
> And who is going to have time to check all the sources. Also most of
> the material that I write comes from books as I hate the external link
> festivity some articles become. So who is going to check the books I
> use. Hint you can find my library I have at my disposal in Thailand
> here: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebruiker:Waerth/Mijn_bronnen (it
> is in Dutch but you get my drift).

Creating a "References" section or using a template to make a proper
book citation will be just as detectable as using an external link. We
are currently only talking about citing sources, not about verifying
them. Articles need to be referenced before their contents can be verified.

> Also I think it is wrong to play panick over one criticism. Yes things
> need to be done. We knew that for years already. To now start
> panicking and coming with emergency reactions we might not help the
> situation.

This isn't panicking. This is doing what we should have been doing all
along, and treating our article content with the same importance that we
treat our image content. This is a step in the right direction.