[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Wed Nov 30 09:21:32 UTC 2005

Andrew Lih wrote:

>On 11/30/05, Brian <brian0918 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>In light of the recent USA Today article:
>>
>>In the same way that we are currently enforcing proper image tags using
>>a bot, could we do the same with unsourced articles? Start out by
>>placing {{unsourced}} in all the articles lacking sources, and then, if
>>it is not sourced in a week, create something like the {{copvio}}
>>page-replacer to hide the unsourced content (the entire article),
>>explaining with a detailed message that the article must be thoroughly
>>sourced.
>>
>>In my mind, at least, it doesn't seem like there should be any
>>difference between enforcing sources for images and sources for
>>articles. If anything we should be enforcing the latter more, since
>>articles form the basis of the encyclopedia. I know this won't solve
>>everything, but I think it should be a vital part of Wikipedia; since we
>>do not know who edits an article, we need to know that it is based on
>>information that we can verify ourselves.
>>

>It's an interesting idea, but it would apply to so many articles on
>such a coarse grained way it may wind up being ignored. Perhaps such a
>function could be tied to the TOC, so that each section would have a
>flag of whether it had been sourced to satisfaction.
>
>-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)

And who is going to have time to check all the sources. Also most of the
material that I write comes from books as I hate the external link
festivity some articles become. So who is going to check the books I
use. Hint you can find my library I have at my disposal in Thailand
here: http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gebruiker:Waerth/Mijn_bronnen (it is
in Dutch but you get my drift).

Also I think it is wrong to play panick over one criticism. Yes things
need to be done. We knew that for years already. To now start panicking
and coming with emergency reactions we might not help the situation.

Walter / Waerth