[Foundation-l] Re: new language policy

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 19:06:50 UTC 2005

Hoi,
When it comes to voting, I hate voting because so often the people who vote
are not the ones that suffer the consequences. What we have seen in the
votes are all kinds of motivations that I have tried to debunk. When you
understand what is behind a vote (in any direction) you often find that the
reasoning given does not really make sense.

What I do not like is that voting is the only obstacle for a Wikipedia. When
a Wikipedia has been squatted by people who do not know the language and
make a 'best effort' of writing in a language, we are not willing to say
this should not be. I think this is appalling. I think more highly of an
intellectual effort like the Klingon one than of this mongrel languages.

When the voting is as political as it apparantly is with these Spanish
languages you can expect all the bad things when voting happens including
ballot stuffing. So when you find people who are passionate about their
language let them have their wikipedia. When it is not viable recognise it
for a non viable project and kill it off.

When you want to decide these things with a vote, you will deny the people
who believe in their language and want to make it happen. You do not give
anything to the people who do not know this language. In a way it is
discrimination pure and simple. When you have some quality and quantity
demands for the continued existence of a project, you make it more honest.
When a project fails to meet these criteria, it means that the people who
asked for it are not the persons to do a good job. Lock it maybe save and
delete it and wait for better times.

My opinion is therefore clear; do not have votes but have quality and
quantity demands.

NB Given the amount of wikipedias where the language exists because of its
army, denying new wikipedias for this reason is problematic. Either a
wikipedia exists because of some language criteria and quantitative and
qualititative demands or it should not.

Thanks,
GerardM