[Foundation-l] Incubator Wiki for New Wikimedia Projects (was Vote to create Wikiversity Vote)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Nov 16 16:13:04 UTC 2005

Anthony DiPierro wrote:

>  As for the guidelines being
>decided on meta rather than Wikibooks, I don't see why that really
>matters, but at the same time it probably wouldn't be hard to convince
>people to move the discussions.
>
>>From my understanding Wikibooks doesn't have all that big of an active
>community in the first place, sans Wikijunior.  If that's true maybe
>that's part of the problem.
>
>Anthony

I have asked for the discussions to be moved to Wikibooks and was
shouted down as being out of order and the discussions continued anyway
on Meta.  Notices of votes about Wikijunior were on the Meta Goings-on
instead of the Wikibooks staff lounge.  This is a problem.

As far as Wikibooks not having that active of a community, I think you
need to go back to Wikibooks and check again.  There are daily changes
on the Staff Lounge, and some rather involved arguments that go on with
the VfD page as well.  Wikijunior is hardly that large of a part of
Wikibook and is only one little corner of the whole thing there as well.
 That is precisely the problem in some ways and one of the arguments to
move Wikijunior to Wikibooks:  That it was percieved that Wikibooks was
a dead project and nobody was around to bother and look at what was
being done.  We are averaging about two to three new admins per month
now, and some significant cleanup of previous deadwood is also
happening.  I don't know how else to decribe an active project besides
this.  I mention the growth in the number of new admins in part because
it also shows general user growth as well, of which there have been plenty.

Wikibooks can exists and grow without Wikijunior.  It doesn't need it,
and is only a very small portion of the items for recent changes on
Wikibooks.  I'll admit that Wikibooks isn't as active as Wikipedia, but
en.wikibooks is a larger community than most of the language domains for
Wikipedia.  Some very interesting and very non-controversial things are
happening on Wikibooks that are very positive, and some very interesting
Wikibooks are developing that are worthy of note even now.  That there
is room for improvement, I don't deny either.

--
Robert Scott Horning