[Foundation-l] Wikinews is giving out press credentials

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Nov 11 20:37:45 UTC 2005

Jean-Baptiste Soufron wrote:

> Unions accreditating journalists will certainly be mad at it (as
> in France), and it would picture the foundation as a liable
> editor rather as a not-liable publisher.

This will most certainly be different in different countries, and
we should be careful to use the right names and phrases for the
simple goals we want to achieve.  What I imagine that Wikinews
reporters want is a useful way to answer the question "who are
you, and who sent you here?" at the door of a press conference.
It need not be the press room of the U.S. president or the U.N.
general secretary, perhaps only the mayor of Hoboken, N.J.

I can say "I'm Lars Aronsson, only representing myself", but that
probably won't open the door for me.  It would be a lie to say
that "I'm a reporter for Le Monde", so I won't try that either.
If I say that "I'm a reporter for the Aronsson Daily", they might
never have heard about this newspaper and could want to check with
the editors if I'm actually telling the truth.

As the legal officer of Wikimedia Foundation, what do you
recommend that the Wikinews reporters say at the door, that will
help them get in?  What kind of document should they show?

Suppose that I could at least show a business card with my name,
the title "volunteer reporter" and the logotype and address of
"Aronsson Daily". I think this could help when I say I'm reporting
for them.  It wouldn't have any "official" status such as the U.K.
"press pass", but it would be obvious that only a limited number
of people could legitimately carry business cards with this
company's logotype.  And no newspaper would send two reporters to
the same event that didn't know of each other.

Are the proposed "press credentials" of Wikinews anything more
than business cards?  Obviously they are not a "press pass".  What
are they really?  What are the important differences?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)