[Foundation-l] Vote to create Wikiversity Vote

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Nov 1 16:44:07 UTC 2005

This is a reminder/formal notice that the voting period for the creation
of Wikiversity is now over, and that the proposal to create Wikiversity
as a new Wikimedia sister project is now being submitted to the
Wikimedia Foundation board for a formal review, as per guidelines
outlined on this page:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_project_policy

and the time table I submitted previously on:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AWikiversity#Wikiversity "Relaunch"

---

The participation IMHO have been outstanding, with one of the largest
user interest surveys that I have been able to find with over 300
Wikimedia contributors weighing in to voice their opinions on the
subject, both for and against the proposal.  There is quite a body of
opinion there for the Foundation board to work with to try and come up
with their own opinion on the subject.  I hope this vote has been viewed
as a success at least in terms of getting people interested in a future
direction for Wikimedia projects and that the energy particularly of the
supporters of Wikiversity will translate into active participation with
the project in some form.

I could use some help from an admin on Meta to "freeze" the voting
pages, unless the board doesn't mind continued voting for the next few
days.  It isn't that big of a deal, but essentially the voting is over
and there is no real reason to continue.  There has been some "policing"
of the votes, and a few duplicates, but I think members of the board are
intelligent enough to figure out what is going on and can come to
reasonable conclusions about what direction to go regardless of the raw
numbers.

Preliminary raw count was approval of Wikiversity by a vote of 208 in
favor to 86 against (voting before November 1st... a few votes did come
in afterward) and that ratio has been roughly consistant throughout the
entire voting process, generally 2:1 in favor.

See this page for the current vote:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiversity/Vote/en
(also in other languages besides English)

--
Robert Scott Horning