[Foundation-l] Re: Wikiversity/Wikisophia conclusion (was: Re: Wikiversity)

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu May 12 02:48:11 UTC 2005

Ray Saintonge:

> Yes of course.  But in your original post on the matter you said, "I'd
> like to announce my intention to move the relevant pages on Meta and
> edit the summary to reflect the name change."

Yes, I was blinded by the quick agreement among the people I talked to
(Angela, who had the idea, Jimbo, and Mav). Nevertheless, I posted here
to give people the opportunity to object to the name change, which
several people did: no harm done.

Contrary to my prior announcement, I will not open a vote immediately.

First of all, we don't have the domain name Wikisophia.org yet. We'll
have to see how the negotiations with Peter go before it makes sense to
decide formally to use it. If it had been an informal decision as I
intended, that wouldn't have been so bad, but if it's now formally
decided, that will influence the negotiations with Peter in undesirable
ways. As Lee pointed out, the integrity of technical decisions should
never be compromised. Out of enthusiasm, I did not completely see the
risks of committing to the name too early.

Secondly, several new naming suggestions have been made. These should be
included in the final naming vote.

Thirdly, a vote should not take place until all arguments for and
against each name have been heard.

Finally, I agree that we need a clearer definition of the project. I'm
not sure such a definition will arise out of discussions, and for the
moment, this list is the wrong place for them. My experience is that it
often makes sense for a single person to sit down and formulate their
perspective, and to then refine this perspective based on the reactions
from the community. Whether this person will be Ambi, me, or someone
else is not relevant. But that person can then also guide the process of
choosing the final name.

Again, I have no intention of pushing the process of launching the
project, though I do intend to seek funding for it and to pursue the
technical needs evaluation.

So, as I said in my original post, there's no reason to panic. I will
however, refrain from using the name "Wikiversity" to describe the
project I'm talking about, as I really do not see the creation of a
"wiki university" as my goal. This may culminate in separate proposals,
if it turns out that the disagreement is less than superficial.

I regret that my suggestion caused so much commotion, though perhaps it
is good that we now have a better idea where this project stands, and
the beginnings of a consensus on how to proceed.

Erik