[Foundation-l] Re: Wikiversity

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed May 11 16:25:18 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller wrote:

>> a wiki for developing teaching resources where I'm always disappointed
>
> > when I look into
>
> Yes, Wikibooks is another project which is suffering from the software
> not addressing all of its needs, particularly the modularization of
> individual books.

While I still hope it will turn into something very useful, I do think
writing full-fledged books is something that is much harder to do in a
wiki-style form of collaboration, even with software changes.  Even on
Wikipedia, the "broad overview" articles, with a few exceptions, tend to
be at a much lower standard of quality than you might expect by looking
at the more narrow articles below them in the hierarchy.  This is
probably because it's just a lot harder to write a broad/synthesis
article in a collaborative fashion---they don't lend themselves very
well to division of labor and modularization, since their entire point
is to do the big-picture thing.

This isn't to say that decent WikiBooks couldn't be written in a modular
fashion, but a *great* book really needs someone to come by and
integrate everything---a great textbook is a much different thing than
15 stapled-together individually great chapters, which I think we're
much better at doing.

-Mark