[Foundation-l] Re: Wikiversity

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed May 11 13:17:37 UTC 2005

Elisabeth Bauer:

> So far, we have one rather successful encylopedia, a media repository
> which could use better organization,

Kennisnet may be interested in helping with that, I am in talks with the
relevant people.

> a dictionary which is in desperate
> need of software modifications,

I'm working on that.

> a quote collection with unsolved legal
> problems,

Headache. Personally, I never wanted Wikiquote to be a Wikimedia project.

> a biology wiki which is boycotted by all wikipedian biologists
> I know,

:-) Gerard and I have talked a bit about this; once we have a Wikidata
prototype out in the wild, perhaps we'll be able to find funding to
create a Wikidata schema for Wikispecies.

> a news site whose participants are in the process of learning
> journalism (with very varying success if I look at the latest headlines
> of german wikinews)

I won't pat myself on the back too much, but I think we're doing well in
terms of monitoring the progress of the international editions and
highlighting successes and weaknesses.

> a dead memorial wiki for sep 11

Yes. Please convert into static HTML ASAP. If nobody else feels up to
the task, I'm willing to help.

> a wiki for developing teaching resources where I'm always disappointed
 > when I look into

Yes, Wikibooks is another project which is suffering from the software
not addressing all of its needs, particularly the modularization of
individual books.

 > a source repository which duplicates the efforts of project
> gutenberg.

A bit harsh; the coming language subdomain split is a good short term
solution to encourage more translations (I don't think it's the best
approach, but that's another story), which is probably the great
potential of Wikisource.

> Isn't this enough to work on?

Yes, for the time being. Our existing projects should stabilize before
Wikisophia is launched. That doesn't mean we shouldn't think about it or
work on grant applications and cooperations which will benefit all our
projects.

Erik