[Foundation-l] Only non-commercial re-use od Wiki content?

Richard Holton richholton at gmail.com
Thu May 5 20:23:50 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Dariusz,
>
> thanks for going out and trying to establish content partnerships. I
> think a license like CC-BY or CC-BY-SA would be fine if the content is
> clearly labeled as such. The problem with CC-BY-NC or similar
> "noncommercial use only" licenses is not necessarily incompatibility,
> but that they don't fit our established definition of free content, i.e.
> far too many uses we want to allow become impossible.
>
> All best,
>
> Erik

Erik,

I'd like to make sure that I understand this clearly, and maybe
someone else will benefit from my asking questions that may seem
redundant...

Isn't it the case that, when someone posts content to Wikipedia, they
are releasing it under GFDL, regardless of any other license they may
also choose to release it under? So, even if the content in question
were clearly labeled as CC-BY, CC-BY-SA, or even CC-BY-NC, it is also
released under GFDL. With the exception of putting something into PD
(or some other less restrictive license than GFDL), it just doesn't
matter what other restrictions may be claimed, it is still released
under GFDL. Excepting, of course, content posted without the knowledge
or permission of the copyright holder.

-- Rich Holton

[[W:en:User:Rholton]]