[Foundation-l] Only non-commercial re-use od Wiki content?

Tomasz Sienicki tsca at edb.dk
Thu May 5 13:03:16 UTC 2005

 "After the consultation with Wikimedia lawyers I can inform you that
 it is acceptable to import content to our Wiki under the licence
 disallowing its commercial re-use," wrote the admin of one of the
 Wikimedia projects and entered into a co-operation with a certain
 external service (with the aim of importing their content to the Wiki
 under such non-commmercial re-use only licence; although the service
 agreed to relicence their content as PD, the admin suggested CC BY-NC).

 My personal opinion is that this goes against the policy of Wikimedia
 and violates the principles crucial to a lot of people who contribute
 to the Wikis. I don't mention names here as I believe it is a
 misunderstanding and that the person in question acts in good faith.

 However, I'd like to hear the Board's official opinion: are there
 circumstances under which the above licence is acceptable for
 Wikimedia Wikis (texts)? Is it even debatable?

 Thank you,
 [[m:user:tsca]]