[Foundation-l] Proposal for New Project Wikirec

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 13:40:51 UTC 2005

--- Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Galloway Joe wrote:
> > I'd like to announce a proposed new project, currently
> > titled Wikirec, http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikirec
>
> Sj  wrote:
> > Interesting.  I think this would make more sense as part of a general
> > wikigeography project...
>
> I agree with Sj that this would be better as part of a project with a
> broader scope.
>
> Related proposals on Meta include:
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimaps>
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiatlas>
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiGPS>
> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimaps/GeonamenDB>

Also wikiGIS (the .com and .org of that and wikimaps are owned by the
foundation; or at least registered by me and awaiting the foundation to claim
them from me)

Yep – this all needs to be in one uber-project that has highly-structured data
in a relational database. The wikidata module needs to be developed before this
type of project could exist, however. I hear there is some possible funding for
that.

-- mav