[Foundation-l] What is de.wikiversity.org?

Kurt Jansson jansson at gmx.net
Wed Mar 16 13:11:06 UTC 2005

Brion Vibber schrieb:
> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
>> 1) When and why was this wiki set up? Who made the decision?
>
> I set up the wiki on March 1 on Kurt Jansson's request.
>
> I'm sure Kurt won't mind if I reprint his request here:

np, thanks Brion.

>> 2) Why was the procedure for launching new projects as established with
>> Wikinews not followed?
>
> My understanding is that this was all discussed ages ago, and the
> project's just been waiting on the external funding (which hasn't quite
> happened yet).

Right. The final decision to start a Wikiversity must have been made sometime in
september last year, IIRC.

>> 3) What are the future plans for the wiki?
>>
>> If this is merely meant to be a demonstration prototype and not an
>> official project of the Wikimedia Foundation, I think that status should
>> be clearly indicated on the wiki.
>
> That's my understanding of the present situation; it's for demo /
> discussion / planning for now.

Right. My plan was to start without much media attention, but with the people
who showed they care about the project before. We have had enough rants about
how "revolutionary" and "world changing" a Wikiversity could be, now we need
some people who actually start developing e-learning courses and tests, and
create a list of problems they had, features that would be helpful, etc.

I think developing and testing a few scenarios what Wikiversity could be is more
productive that way, but I fear it's already on Slashdot and Heise now ;-)

Kurt