[Foundation-l] What is de.wikiversity.org?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Mar 16 07:06:17 UTC 2005

Erik Moeller wrote:
> 1) When and why was this wiki set up? Who made the decision?

I set up the wiki on March 1 on Kurt Jansson's request.

I'm sure Kurt won't mind if I reprint his request here: "hi! I already
asked in #wikimedia, but didn't have any luck, so I'm trying again here:
could one of you server guys please set up de.wikiversity.org (just with
an empty wiki)? we still don't have any news about funding, but people
want to start working on it and keep bugging me. would be really nice :-)"

> 2) Why was the procedure for launching new projects as established with
> Wikinews not followed?

My understanding is that this was all discussed ages ago, and the
project's just been waiting on the external funding (which hasn't quite
happened yet).

> 3) What are the future plans for the wiki?
>
> If this is merely meant to be a demonstration prototype and not an
> official project of the Wikimedia Foundation, I think that status should
> be clearly indicated on the wiki.

That's my understanding of the present situation; it's for demo /
discussion / planning for now.

> Last but not least, a MAJOR issue: all the wikiversity.org language
> subdomains have an unprotected "Create wiki" link. If this is meant to
> be a German demo only, then we have to disable this link ASAP, or
> otherwise people will start building their things there before the
> project has been officially approved.

If you find such links *anywhere* they need to be disabled. The
autocreation script is broken.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)