[Foundation-l] What is de.wikiversity.org?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Wed Mar 16 08:56:02 UTC 2005

Ang-

that seems reasonable to me. I have added a site notice to the effect
that Wikiversity is not yet an official Wikimedia project, with a link
to your mailing list post.

As for the general project idea, the page
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiversity is still a big hodgepodge of
keywords and threadmode discussions. Now would be a good time for
someone to take the lead in defining the project goals properly. I
cannot support the project until that has happened, because I fear
people in the different language communities would develop vastly
different resources under the same name.

The most important question seems to me whether Wikiversity will just be
a repository of learning materials, or a true online university that
includes
- a graduation process
- original research
- a publication and peer review process for scientific papers, theses, etc.

That information would be necessary before people can make an informed
decision whether Wikiversity should exist as a separate project, as an
umbrella project that includes Wikibooks, as part of Wikibooks, or not
at all. For example, I would only support a separate project if its
goals go beyond merely collecting and creating resources for educators
in existing institutions.

I'm really excited about the broader vision of a wiki-university. I'd be
happy to assist in taking this project from brainstorming to reality,
though I do believe it might be a good idea to wait another couple of
months before formally launching a vote on the launch, to avoid voter
fatigue and the general impression that Wikimedia is moving too fast
with new projects.

Peace,

Erik