[Foundation-l] What is de.wikiversity.org?

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 06:37:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:12:59 +0100, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> I just noticed on User:WiseWoman's user page that a German Wikiversity
> has been created at http://de.wikiversity.org/
> Why was the procedure for launching new projects as established with
> Wikinews not followed?

To be honest, I'd just been assuming this project was happening and
hadn't even thought about whether or not it should go through any
formal procedure, in the same way Wikisource and other projects never
did.

Ambi said on the mailing list last October that the domain name
(<http://www.wikiversity.org>) had been registered (by mav) and that
she thought there was a sufficient amount of support for the project
to proceed. There were a few emails then where people appeared
confused about the difference between this and Wikibooks, but no
explicit objection to the project, and no suggestion a vote was
needed. Around the same time, Eclecticology registered wikiversity.ca
with no objections, and Sj suggested the same be done for
wikiversity.fr.

However, now that Wikinews has gone through a proper creation process,
and thinking of the problems caused by Wikispecies, which didn't, I
think it would be a good idea to follow the policy at
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_project_policy>. This basically
means that the project should be discussed, voted on and then a
decision made by the board. I have spoken to Anthere this morning
about this and she agrees that the project could be ready to start,
but it shouldn't be being presented as a Wikimedia project before it
is formally approved.

The German language version has been created at <http://
de.wikiversity.org/>, but I propose that this should left up as a demo
site, since attempts to get funding for the project are already
underway (<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiversit%C3%A4tSkizze2>).

Is anyone willing to organize a vote along the same lines as the
Wikinews one? It would be a good idea for the current pages about
Wikiversity on Meta and on Wikibooks to be refined into a clearer
proposal before the voting begins, to ensure the confusion about the
aims of the project are clarified before a decision is made.

Angela.