[Foundation-l] wikibreak

Michael Becker wikimb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 16:39:17 UTC 2005

If there is anything I learned from my long wiki-break months ago it is
that Wikipedia will continue to function fine without me. Since then,
I've had a much more laid-back view of Wikipedia. I often go several
days or weeks without doing anything wiki instead of trying to manage
doing EVERYTHING EVERYDAY. I realize things are different for you
Anthere seeing as so much trust has been put on you by the community.
However, I am certain the community would survive if you choose to cut
back on your visible involvement. Do what is best for you. You give a
lot to the community and project which we all appreciate very much.
Don't burn out :).

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:03:33 -0800 (PST), Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > Okay
 >
 > This has little to do with a supposed "upper circle".
 > I guess everyone has a need for a break from time to time.
 > If I just consider recent times with people around me :
 > Tim has consider entirely giving up Wikipedia for a while, and is
hopefully back though with less activity
 > Elian was on a wikibreak about 3 weeks ago
 > Sannse is currently on wikibreak though I do not know why. I just
heard it was because of my proposal on OTRS. I know nothing more.
 > Ellisllk has decided to quit Wikipedia recently, asking me to unsysop
him on Wikipedia and wikiquote
 > Danny is on wikibreak due to me not telling him what he expected, and
he made at least 3 or 4 wikibreaks in the past months
 > Sj has been on and off since december
 > Yourself, Villy, has been on a big wikibreak in january and part of
february (right ?)
 > Dunno about you, but I do not see a lot of Angela these days. Love is
getting her busy.
 > Aphaia quit participating to some projects
 > Etc...
 > And likely, dozen of wikipedians are everyday on a break
 >
 > We do not always know why they do it.
 > Some people live Wikipedia passionately, others have more of an equal
mood. Not everyone is equal in front of stress and disappointment.

 > Yeah, I thought of explaining more why I am currently tired. But
really, this should be obvious by the past days mails here. The rest of
it is private issues.

 > Perhaps I can only add four points.
 >
 > First, in the past few days, I did not sufficiently listened to
others. I should have listened more. Or I should just have keep my mouth
shut entirely. So perhaps it is more loss of faith in myself than in the
project ?

 > Second, to listen more to others however, it would be helpful that
they talk. When they do not talk, it is really hard to know where to put
feet, and it is hard to represent mute people. Typical example would be
the proposal for OTRS. I may be the one concerned by the amount of mails
to answer, but we might be all concerned by what we want the Foundation
to become, a family kinda stuff, or something a bit more organised. If
so, I would love to hear opinions on this. Please see the amount of
feedback on this. I may have a responsability toward users, but I think
that in a similar sort of way, users have a responsability toward me.
Either one of support, or one of criticism, or suggesting other ideas...
dunno... uh... something... less silent possibly ?

 > Third, I had some bad proprietary thoughts. I still think that images
I uploaded on Wikipedia are mine in a sense. I should not. If someone
delete them, I should just not mind at all. Many of the texts I added to
Wikipedia in three years have disappeared, remix in other people texts.
They never asked me if they could remove my inputs. I think it is okay.
I should not mind either that my images are deleted from Wikipedia (if I
repeat it every morning, I should get convinced perhaps ?)

 > Fourth, I really physically need a break. Aside from all above
considerations. The last week has been very heavy for me at work, very
little sleep. No heat at home for 4 days while outside temperature was
below -10°C. I slept the whole saturday afternoon, which did not prevent
me from falling asleep at 10 pm the same day. As I have already
announced to a couple of wikipedians, I am waiting for a third baby, and
I feel I need rest badly right now. I am tired. At least, I should focus
on what is really important. Perhaps answering the pile of mails left in
my mail box. Oh well. Whatever.

Michael Becker