[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Research Team logo [was: Getting started]

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 22:49:40 UTC 2005

On 6/20/05, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, the logo is, as SJ said, a mutant anyway. :-)
> >
> > --Jimbo
>
> OK, I am fishing this from the dead zone. I just realized my "Erik,
> please can you get rid of the logo?" sent after Jimbo's comment had
> been sent to Jimbo only, unfortunately.

I wouldn't mind seeing more non-mutant logos around, particularly if
they have little to do with other wiki[mp]edia logos.  For fun and
great justice.  I was pleased when the barnstar subproject started
multiplying the collection of awardable icons, and when the template
subprojects started adding little icons to identify their templates.
Anything that improves readability and consistency across a subproject
is scalably excellent in my book.

> I will therefore re-state my point. The research team, as I understand
> it, is somewhat part of the board. I do not understand, and do not

As I understand it, the research tea^B^B^Bnetwork is not at all part
of the board. Nor is it innately more or less authoritative as a
network than any of the less-visible groups that discuss and work on
Wikimedia research.  However, it is being actively mentored and
promoted by Erik, which makes this network more visible, and in ways
more effective, than other related networks.  None of this has to do
with the board.

Erik's research position *is* officially granted by the board -- both
a recognition of his interests and work to date, and a request for him
to keep on top of research efforts in the community.  His own words
were that, in light of both this recognition and this burden, he is
focusing his effort on this network (rather than other projects of
interest); which focus I hope will bear great fruit.  But, you know,
it's just another project with its own logo dreams.

If you /really/ want to protest, perhaps we should create some more
projects with their own logos, just for the design challenge.  A
Wikimon logo, maybe.   Or a [[m:Press Corps]]  or [[w:POTD]] logo, to
make into stickers for one's camera-bag.   Perhaps a
[[w:Wikipedia:WikiProject]] logo to spice up the hundreds of
wikiproject pages...

+SJ+