[Foundation-l] New project proposal - Wikibuilder

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Jan 20 15:35:18 UTC 2005

Robin Shannon wrote:
> i remember you saying on several occasions that you wanted to keep
> your stuff (bormis, wikia, wikicites, <anything else i might not know
> about>) and wikimedia seperate.

Yes, this is legally and ethically necessary.

> I also remember you saying that you did not think that it would be
> appropriate for other wikis started elsewhere to merge with, or
> become part of the wikimedia family.

No, I did not say that.  It will depend on the circumstances, the
nature of the project, the judgment of the community, and the judgment
of myself and the other board members.

I have a strong ethical obligation to the Wikimedia Foundation, and
nothing I do will compromise that, this was my point.  I don't want
wikicities to compete with or fork anything that's more suitable for
the foundation.  And I would like to make wikicities available to help
resolve problems within the foundation (for example, providing a home
for communities like tokipona, which although perfectly fine in and of
themselves, have been judged to be inconsistent with our overall
language policy).

--Jimbo