[Foundation-l] Re: Swedish, Spanish, French Wikinews set up

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Jan 31 14:41:22 UTC 2005

Anthere-

> You can't claim that there is no objection when people are not even
> aware of something going on. You can't pretend the foundation list is
> a channel of information read by anyone. Nowhere is written that this
> is mandatory.

The Foundation list is effectively our cross-project announcement list.
I also posted to the international Wikinews mailing list. I'm sick of
people complaining that this or that hasn't been announced in this or
that place. In any case, as I have already said, I don't think it
matters at all if some French editors feel Wikinews is a bad idea. They
had their chance to vote. If there's anything *specific* to the French
community about Wikinews, that would be interesting to know. So far I
haven't heard it.

> Given the opposition there was on the project, I think it would have
> been appreciated that you at least mention the creation over there.

As I responded to Yann, I announced it in the #fr.wikipedia IRC channel,
and <phe> posted an announcement on the Pump after I did.

> Powerless user ?

Yes. Any privileges I may have can be instantly revoked by the Board, of
which you are a member. All my actions were taken in accordance with
previous agreements with the Board and written procedures that have been
sitting there for months.

> When a criteria must mention that an editor must be able to edit a
> wiki for its vote to be valid, I think we are reaching a level of
> bureaucracy that goes too far.

Not at all. This is a substantial requirement for something like
Wikinews, with lots of signatures to check for whether they have or have
not edited in that language - and if they haven't, it still doesn't give
you the secure knowledge that they can't. Instead of this rather complex
procedure, I have used a simple one, namely, 5 users with user pages
pledge to edit the project, and we assume good faith that their pledge
is serious. That doesn't mean I oppose the requirement, but it makes the
creation of new languages a substantially more time-consuming process
than it is now.

> You only made possible the existence of a local wiki with extremely
> little support and broken rules.

Stop accusing me of breaking rules. Which rule did I break? Put up or
shut up.

Regards,

Erik