[Foundation-l] Forking the Wiki

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jan 2 22:04:17 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- "Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales" <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>

>>For sep11, well, yes, it's not so great and it was a weak compromise
>>and we should do something about it.
>>

>Sep11wiki suffers from being too focused on one event. What we need is to have
>a general memorial wiki that would have Sep11 as just one of many internal
>WikiProjects. Such a project could also serve as a genealogy wiki (aka
>Wikipeople).

This was the gist of the Wikimorial idea.  It's about commemorating the
otherwise "unnotable" people who happened to be at the wong place at the
wrong time, and fell victims to historic events that overwhelmed them.
The recent tsunami may well generate other stories that merit inclusion.

Not all people referenced there need to have died in the events.  The
project could include significant survival stories.  I see it as a
"human interest" kind of project.

Ec