[Foundation-l] Conflict resolution on meta Wikimedia

Nicholas Knight nknight at runawaynet.com
Thu Feb 24 13:04:35 UTC 2005

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Christiaan,
> It is one thing to split articles into two, it is another to castrate
> the talk pages and move all things that are not to your liking
> elsewhere. Your right to ask for a method to have mechanisms into the
> mediawiki software is equal to my right to have an angst of this first
> step of introducing censorship into our projects.

THERE. IS. NO. CENSORSHIP.

> *Your proposal will make it mandatory to allow for tags/categorisations
> so that censorship will work.

Our proposal will make it POSSIBLE for categories to be used by
END-USERS to CHOOSE what they wish to see.

> *Your original article title was End-user content suppression and
> decided that this was not "good" renamed it to image suppression

Because the focus was and has always been on images. Whether like
measures need to be taken for text is a different discussion.

> *There has already been one anonymous coward asking for using your
> censoring mechanism for content.

What?

> *You have repeatedly removed all things you thing are detrimental to
> your proposal from the article and its talk page

The article was intended for a discussion of the technical side of it.
Policy can be dealt with elsewhere.

> *Basically you ask for censorship and find people who oppose it.

You really need to read the wikien-l archives. Christiaan was one of the
most vocal opponents of linking images instead of inlining them.

> As to your question, withdraw your proposal or allow for criticism.

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Blanket false statements are not.