[Foundation-l] Conflict resolution on meta Wikimedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:53:08 UTC 2005

Christiaan Briggs wrote:

> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> I am sorry to say that this person is wearing blinkers. He only sees
>> what he wants to see and all othere considerations are not about
>> "what is being discussed". Yes, govennments can block wikipedia but
>> that is an all or nothing operation. With the censoring tags in
>> place, they can say partially block our content, and that is what the
>> censoring tags are there for.
>

> Actually we have a name for these tags on Wikimedia projects. They're
> called categories.
>
> Christiaan

So basically you provide me with THE argument to get rid of categories..
Actually, you are wrong. pictures are not categorised and we do not have
software to prevent pictures from being seen. The proposal is to have
our mediawiki software react to specific tags. When you program for
pictures, you can also program for text because in essence there is no
difference.

I have never liked categories anyway, they only provide people the
opportunity to, well categorise, nothing creative about it and much
opportunity to get it wrong.

When you want your tagging, you do not take into account that it
infringes on people's rights to represent their material in a certain
way. Basically censorship is bad, it is very much POV and it prevents
people from learning about subjects in the fullest sense of the word.
When you do not want to see sex do not go to natasha.com (or whatever
they are called) When you want to learn about sex, go to Wikipedia, it
explains what a vagina is and what parts are where. Really instructive,
I would not like to have people not know when they look it up.

Thanks,
    Gerard