[Foundation-l] Conflict resolution on meta Wikimedia

Christiaan Briggs christiaan at last-straw.net
Wed Feb 23 17:21:53 UTC 2005

Please I'd like to avoid getting into a big debate here on the
foundation mailing list. I just want to know what dispute procedures
there are on meta.

Walter van Kalken wrote:

>> You didn't respond to any of my points. And the point you make above
>> is yet another straw man. If governments want to block or filter
>> Wikipedia there's nothing stopping them from doing that right now.
>> What this proposal does is provide users with a choice about which
>> images they are presented with when surfing Wikimedia projects.
>
> And what if their providers/governments make the choice for them,
> Thers is no choice for them left.

As I said governments and providers can do this already.

> Also who decides on what is inappropriate? I much better like another
> solution. Put the shocking pictures on a subpage to the article
> instead of electronically tagging them.

Then by all means go start a page on meta that sets out the
implementation of such an idea. I may not agree but I won't troll the
page that seeks to set out how to do it.

> There is nothing stopping anybody from blocking or filtering wikipedia
> right now no ..... I do not see one reason why we should give them the
> tools to give them an excuse to do so and make it easier for them. Now
> they might not filter becuase it is to much of a pain for them. But
> when we will tag the things for them we only make it easier for them
> to think hey yes we could do that! I see no reason to help them or
> give them that idea.

We already tag, it's also called categorisation. This scheme simply
asks that all [[potentially offensive images]] are categorised before
being said to be implemented.

Christiaan