[Foundation-l] currency POV

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Feb 20 18:36:45 UTC 2005

NSK wrote:

>On Sunday 20 February 2005 02:34, Chad Perrin wrote:
>

>>developed for use with US currency.  I don't really think there's an
>>NPOV violation going on if the "US" is omitted when representing US
>>

>Wikipedia is international, not a US site. Canadians expect to read Canadian
>values when they see $. It should be US$ to maintain NPOV.

It's not a matter of NPOV at all.  It's a matter of avoiding
ambiguities.  Canadians are far more experienced at recognizing which $
is intended by the context than people in the US who get very confused
when any curency than their own is mentioned.  It's quite common for US
merchants, even ones near the border, to refuse Canadian currency
because they don't understand it.  A Canadian merchant will except the
US currency, and have some idea about what to do with exchange rates.

This leaves Canadians bemused, and contributes much to putting our
streotypes about confused Americans on a solid footing.

Ec