[Foundation-l] Re: And blocked again

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 07:26:10 UTC 2005

David Gerard a écrit:
> Walter van Kalken (walter at vankalken.net) [050216 02:09]:
>
>>David Gerard wrote:
>

>>>If the ISP in question really is running an open proxy server, then Walter
>>>needs to bring it to their attention that this is leaving an abuse-machine
>>>wide open, just as if it were an open email relay being used by spammers.
>>

>>This is not my responsibility. Wikipedia is an open project and it
>>should be open for anyone.
>

> Unfortunately, open proxies in this manner constitute a public problem on
> the Internet. Wikipedia blocks them on sight because they are primarily
> used for abuse.
>
> If you HAVE to use that proxy if you want to use that ISP, at this stage
> it's up to you to get them to run their systems competently.
>

> - d.

Excuse me ?

I do not think such comments are very helpful.

We know the power of users of internet lines in front of their isps, it
is non existent, we should not expect Waerth to be able to fix this
anytime soon.

On the other hand, WE, as an international project, insist on being open
to everyone editing. If we claim to be open, we need to just be,
regardless of the inconveniences.

In 4 years, we have shown that security could be ensured by a good
community, in a much more efficient and positive way that any barrier.
Giving up using community strength to fight vandals and replacing it by
physical barriers, is somehow just giving up the concept which made our
success. Till now, we have used human strength. And it works. Why should
Ja fail to go on using human strength ?

I do not think japanese editors should block ips preemptively, to
protect themselves, just in case there might be some abuse, and
consequently block good editors. It is very very very wrong.