[Foundation-l] And blocked again

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Feb 15 19:14:37 UTC 2005

Walter van Kalken wrote:

> David Gerard wrote:
>
>> Andre Engels (andreengels at gmail.com) [050216 01:33]:
>>

>>> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:35:02 +0700, Walter van Kalken
>>> <walter at vankalken.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone have to say anything about this? Or should I just start to
>>> collect Japanese IP-addresses to block them on nl: to get a reaction?
>>>

>> If the ISP in question really is running an open proxy server, then
>> Walter
>> needs to bring it to their attention that this is leaving an
>> abuse-machine
>> wide open, just as if it were an open email relay being used by
>> spammers.
>
> This is not my responsibility. Wikipedia is an open project and it
> should be open for anyone.
>
> Waerth/Walter

I'd like to add that I am on a dial-up connection where my IP address
isn't unique either.  It is certainly likely and possible that a Wiki
vandal could use the same dial-up connection and use the same IP
addresses I use, even though I'm contributing reasonable content to the
Wiki.  While open proxies are a problem, that isn't always the situation.

I'm siding with Walter on this one, and this is a policy that needs to
be addressed.

--
Robert Scott Horning