>>: Re: [Foundation-l] And blocked again

sannse sannse at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 17:13:25 UTC 2005

Walter van Kalken wrote:

 > [a reply in anger]

As I've been saying to Waerth on IRC - David was really trying to give
advice here and not to offend.  I've been hearing about this situation
for a while now, and understand Waerth's deep frustration and anger.
But it's new and rather peculiar sounding to most here I think.

This situation with his provider is quite different from the one most
people will have - but perhaps can be compared with a random user trying
to persuade AOL to change its whole system because the user can't access
a site they want to see.  His provider simply isn't going to listen -
however much sense he makes with reasons that proxies are a Bad Thing.
And, as Waerth has said, he has no option of changing provider.

Waerth has had to put up with regular blocks for a long time through no
fault of his own.  I think any of us wiki-addicts would be as upset at this.

I don't know what the solution is, except for ja. being asked to change
their policy here.  I don't see why the blocking system cannot be told
to ignore this particular set (although I don't know the technicalities
of course).  Note that these blocks are *not* in response to vandalism -
proxies are blocked automatically even if no bad edits have come from
that address.  Waerth is an excellent contributor, active in foundation
issues as well as local issues, it's a real shame to see him distressed
by this problem.

--sannse