[Foundation-l] Blocking on Japan

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Mon Feb 14 14:13:42 UTC 2005

It took some but for today I am unblocked do not know for how long though :(

I placed this on Japanese wikipedia today

Walter van Kalken

My name is Waerth, or in real life Walter. I am a Dutch person living in
Thailand. I am active on the nl:, en:, af: and th: wikimedia projects.
In the last two months everytime I try to do something here I am blocked
... at least my ip address is blocked not my username.

Now I heard japanese wikipedia has a blocking policy for open proxies. I
understand they give problems. But I also know some people are forced by
their ISP's to use them. Like myself. My ISP uses it and I have no
choice. I cannot break contract because it would cost me 6000 Thai baht.
And my provider gives a good service, I get a discount of 20% on my
mobile and home telephone because I use them and they are one company.
This provider ... Asianet is used by more than 300.000 people in Thailand.

Many Thai people are genuinely interested in Japan and learning
Japanese. Also there are many Japanese in Thailand. Some of which will
use Asianet as well! By blocking open proxies you are shutting out
millions of people of enjoying the Japanese wikipedia. And you are
directly violating one of the wikimedia projects goals,,.. to be
accessable to everybody. I can complain about this policy because I know
how wikipedia works. Many people can not complain because they do not
know how to do that. So they go away frustrated and you loose potential
contributors.

How do I think you can solve this? On dutch nl: I am a sysop and a
proponent of hard blocking policies. If somebody vandalizes they get
blocked for 24 hours, period. I heard there are problems on Japanese
wikipedia with getting sysops and there is a shortage of hands so that
is why Japanese as the only wikipedia decided to block open proxies. So
you need to get more sysops.

Being a sysop doesn't mean much. You just help to keep wikipedia clean.
It is not about power!! All you get is some extra buttons to revert
vandalism, secure a page and block a vandal. I want to urge on all
active users to ask for sysop status to solve this problem! You see if
everybody is a sysop, there are no problems with power! because
everybody is the same .... a sysop. And everybody can spend 10 minutes a
week on cleaning. It is not much extra work really. And than it is easy
to unblock the open proxies. Because you have a big group of sysops to
stop the vandals! And welcome the people that couldn't use Japanese
wikipedia before now.