[Foundation-l] Re: Google Donating Bandwidth and Servers to Wikipedia

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 12:38:32 UTC 2005

Mark,

I understand extremely well what you are saying. And I fully understand
your concerns with regards to the freedom any editor should benefit on
meta. I fully support this view as well.

Allow me to explain to you a little bit more the current situation.

First, Wikimedia Foundation is discussing the possibility of a deal with
Google. However, the exact terms of the "current" proposal have not been
publicly disclosed. There has been no official statement with regards
exact terms either by WMF, nor by Google.

Second, since we, editors of Wikimedia projects as well as Jimbo
himself, tend to discuss things a lot together, as we work very hard to
reach consensus and keep the community informed, basic information was
provided to editors and developers. Hence, there was a trend to inform
editors of the existence of the discussion and of the plan to meet
Google representatives.

Third, while it is obvious to us, wikipedians, that any individual wiki
edit does involve only the responsability and opinion of its author,
unless otherwise mentionned, it is clearly not obvious at all for people
outside our little circle.
As is, the board report posted here by Angela is clearly an official
report from the board
(http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2005-February/002187.html).
However, the article posted on meta
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Google_hosting) is not an official
statement by the board in any way. Angela very likely posted it to
clarify questions asked by editors on the irc channels. There is
absolutely nothing wrong in this. I personally discovered the page only
the next day, following the link from the /. article. So I read this
page after most bloggers.

Does it matter ?
Well, we actually face something entirely new for Wikipedia. The fact
that a board member can post something casually on meta to inform
editors, and this post is considered a board official announcement, and
relayed by many bloggers or newspapers as an official statement.

The issue is basically not whether the content is accurate or not, or
complete or not.

The issues are rather :
- Did the board wish to make a public announcement ?
- If it had done so, would it have been done on meta ?
- Is there a difference between family talk on irc only available on
editors logs, and statement on a wiki page which can be linked by
everyone in the world ?
- Does an official non official public statement hurt the likelyhood of
the deal or not ?
- Now that most editors consider it official, what if the other board
members do not fully agree with it ?

And mostly :

- Now that bloggers and newspapers consider it official, does the
Foundation have a right to "control" what appears to be official
statement by itself ?

To the last question, I definitly answer yes. And I support Mav
protecting the page in question.

And last point

- How are such events where casual discussions are reported as official
by public worldwide media gonna impact the future transparency of
decision making which "could be" a little bit sensible ?

So... please Mark, before complaining of censorship (you may absolutely
open a parallel page and comment on the talk page), I will ask you to
carefully consider whether you think it proper that a page called by a
dozen of major newspapers or blogs and presented as an official page,
may be edited by anyone.

Someone suggested that I redirect the page to wikimediafoundation.org,
but if I had done so, the talk page would not have been available any
more. So, I discarded that proposition.

I'll also remind that Jimbo, Angela and I are also individuals, and that
in most cases, what we say reflect our own opinion, rather than the
collective opinion of the board.

All what is above is only my opinion, not an official statement by the
Foundation :-)

Anthere