[Foundation-l] Wikistandards (was Requests for new Wiki projects)

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Feb 4 01:04:35 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

>--- willtop31 at epsfh.com wrote:
>

>>===Working title===
>>*Link to proposal on mailing list: [http://mail.wikipedia.org/]
>>*Naming suggestions: ElectroWiki Wikitronics Wikital
>>*Domain name: Electrowiki.org
>>*Scope: A place to gather international standards for electricity,
>>electronics,
>>and robotics. Instead of paying large sums of money to the IEEE and ISO for
>>access to their standards.
>>*Details: Electronics and electrical Wikipedia. This project will grow as
>>student contribute and use it as a resource for studying electronics,
>>alternative energy, and robotics.
>>*Proposer: Craig Topham
>>*People interested joining:
>>Students of Lane Community College Electronic Technology Programs. Eugene,
>>Oregon U.S.A
>>

>Sounds like it would make for a great set of books on Wikibooks.
>
>-- mav

I had set up a previous proposal for something somewhat similar, with a
strong emphasis on computer science and electronics, but more broadly
done to support standards in other areas as well.  Look at this link for
more details of the proposal:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikistandards

I've been lurking on the mailing list for awhile now mainly to avoid
upsetting the existing power structure.  Since this subject is being
brought up, I might as well go "public" and ask on this mailing list as
well.  There are a number of aspects of this proposal that are important
to keep in mind:

*    Avoid duplicating work on already free standards.  That would
include most of what happens with the W3C group, as well as ITEF with
the RFC internet standards.  Work on new standards should merely
reference these existing standards where necessary.  It isn't even worth
the bother of trying to mirror these standards, unless there is a very
serious concern that these public domain standards are going to be
withdrawn from public consumption.

*    Some new standards documents need to be created.  Some of this is
advertising (Hey!  We are here and can offer you a forum to put your
standard together!), and a need to find people who want to come together
and develop standards.  The creation of a standards document is usually
to scratch an itch, where there has been some confusion in the past, and
to help with interoperability issues, i.e. trying to get two pieces of
equipment to work together or two pieces of software to understand
shared data.  I've developed several in-house standards documents for my
employers in the past, and often it is these minor standards that can be
useful if you can find a place to have them available.  Basically, we
need to find what kinds of standards need to be developed, and start
putting them together.

*    Indexing existing standards:  There are a number of standards that
are already available, and when you are starting a new project it is
always better to follow an existing standard than try to make something
new up on your own.  A good "beginning" to get a project like this
started would be to simply do a survey of existing standards documents
that are freely available on the internet.  Classifying and creating
various indexes to link to these standards would be very valuable in its
own right.  Hopefully, if it is a resource being used some of the people
interested in creating standards would look at the index, and if the
existing documents don't seem to fit the task or need a new document
could be created.  A wiki is a very natural way to accomplish this task.

There is more that I put into the proposal wiki page, but I think this
is a real quick overview of what I am proposing.  BTW, wholesale copying
of IEEE or ISO standards would be essentially forbidden, unless the
express written consent of the original standards author(s) is willing
to independently provide a copyright license that is compatable with the
GFDL.  The typical ISO copyright does not allow for this, and often can
be more draconian than even a typical Microsoft EULA.  Be extra careful
if you even have more than a printed library of ISO documents.  There
are also some very complicated software and electronic patent issues
that you need to be aware of if you try to deal with IEEE or ISO
standards as well.  This is also true of RFCs to a lesser extent, but
the W3C group has been pretty good (up until now) about making sure that
to the best of their knowledge there are no patent issues on any of
their documents.

As far as getting students involved, it would be a very educational (as
in learning from the School of Very Hard Knocks) for college students to
get involved even with the simplest of standards documentation.  You
know you are in trouble when you argue for over three hours wheither you
should have a semi-colon in one place or another.  I would imagine that
discussion pages on some of these standards documents could get quite
lengthy and heated if done as a wikipedia project.  The awsome thing
about doing it in this manner is that you can join in the development of
these standards even though you don't have a PhD at the end of your
name, or that you aren't working for an exclusive group of companies
that deliberately try to exclude other individuals, even if those other
people really do know the technology.

Originally I proposed this in its own seperate domain, but to start with
I'd love to simply make this a sub-project on wikibooks, with the
near-term interest of making it a seperate sub-domain of wikibooks.
 That wasn't my idea, but now that I've seen what and how things are put
together here I think this is a more logical approach.  It really isn't
a bunch of textbooks, as is the original focus of wikibooks, but it is a
bunch of book-like things that are organized in a very similar approach.

If there are people interested in getting an independent wiki-based
standards group going, please let me know.  I think there is a real need
for this in general, and I've seen the issues regarding the development
and use of standards documents really affect quite a few people.  When
you need a public and free standard, it is worth its weight in gold.
 Litterally, if you print it out on gold foil, people would gladly pay
more than that just to have the document.  I'm not kidding.  This is
also one area that corporate sponsors might help with the subsidizing of
Wikimedia projects, even if they don't have direct banner ads or other
forms of blatent advertising.  Simply having these documents available
might just be enough, and I could even make a reasonable presentation to
show it would be in a company's interest to provide this sponsorship,
done as an engineering expense, not adverstising expense.  I digress
here though with the financial aspects...

--
Robert Scott Horning