[Foundation-l] Enforcing WP:CITE the Soi case

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Dec 7 00:57:45 UTC 2005

Brian wrote:

> Britannica has to defend every letter of it before they can get
> published. The same is true for all other major encyclopedias. Why
> wouldn't it be true for us? Aren't we trying to make an encyclopedia
> here?

Yeah, Nupedia tried that already.

The Wikipedia process is explicitly not to require perfection up front.
Ideally, every fact would indeed be referenced.  And if you can add
references to an article, that's a great thing.  If we end up with some
system of vetting good articles, perhaps only well-referenced articles
should be allowed to get the higher markings.  Those are all fine, and
all much different than prohibiting edits that are not meticulously
referenced in the first place.

-Mark