[Foundation-l] Information flow

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 10:05:41 UTC 2005

On 18/08/05, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Now that several people have expressed their feeling we are non
> transparent, I would like that they go further than just stating a
> situation, and make suggestions to improve.
>
> Michael is mentionning that "with the developers, they struggle
> constantly with more pressing issues". And that "we could use three or
> four times as many developers".

Hackers rarely communicate outside of themselves. Fact of life in that
arena. However, the server log:

http://wp.wikidev.net/Server_admin_log

isn't too bad.

> I have a problem with the equation
>
> board : amount of time spent answering personal mails + amount of time
> spend on OTRS + amount of time spent writing board meeting reports +
> amount of time spent writing to this list + amount of time spent on
> setting up a wikimedia foundation website + amount of time spent writing
> Quarto
>
> With
>
> Wikipedians : we are not informed.
>
> It does not fit :-)
>

> So my questions are
>
> * exactly on which topic do you feel you are not informed ?

Everything. The WMF wiki is a shambles and so are the related meta pages.

I suspect a lot of the information people want *is* actually out
there, it's just very hard to find.

> * please cite some examples of how we could inform you. Please not "I
> want to be more informed", but HOW, WHERE, WHEN and under WHICH form.

1. Start the announce-l list, and use it
2. Make the WMF wiki useful
3. I understand that there is now code to transclude templates between
wikis. This would make "broadcasting" info to individual wikis's
village pumps easy, if it were to be enabled. This would be
*extremely* powerful.
4. Y'know, a "board and officers" blog would be very useful. Perhaps
the blogging extension could be turned on on the WMF wiki.

As someone who is a) disappointed with the foundation and it's lack of
openess, real or percieved, and b) is a whizz with wikis and how to
make them easy-to-follow, I would be very happy to sort out the WMF
wiki.

Dan