[Foundation-l] Re: Indymedia and FBI

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Fri Oct 8 21:08:14 UTC 2004

Walter Vermeir wrote:

> Delirium wrote:
>
>> Like where?
>>
>> Note that the hard drives seized were not in the US---they were in
>> the UK.  So having backup UK servers wouldn't help us in such a case.
>>
>> -Mark
>

> Yes, but the UK is not a good example. When the UK can gain something
> from the EU the are Europeans. But many times the act like the are
> part of the USA.  The UK is even part of the ECHELON network.

Well, the interplay of governments these days is pretty strong, and not
just US/UK.  The current rumor going around the Indymedia folks is that
the server seizure was actually requested by the Swiss government, and
the US merely implemented the request.  Apparently Indymedia posted some
photographs of undercover Swiss police officers during a protest, was
asked to take them down, and didn't.

So if the US, UK, and Switzerland are all colluding, I can imagine a
good part of the rest of the world is too.

-Mark