[Foundation-l] Re: Crazy desires

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 06:10:57 UTC 2004

Rich Holton a écrit:
> --- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote: (in part)
>

>>I'd like that more people make the effort to use a
>>simple english.
>>

> This is a very reasonable request. Like many from the
> US, I know only one language. It seems that the least
> people like me can do is write in a simple style.
>
> However, I'm not really sure what sort of sentences
> give the most trouble to speakers of other languages.
> How careful do I need to be? Can I offend by being too
> simple?
>
> I would really appreciate your comments.
>
> -Rich Holton (Rholton)

I wish I really knew...

when the audience is small and not very good in english, write sentences
of the type ''subject + verb + complement''.

Avoid familiar language and slang

Sometimes, to be kind, some editors run a comment in google translation,
and post only the google translation.
Please do not do this; if you post a google translation, always add the
original as well (it helps understanding the translation...)

I recommand any of those understanding 2 languages to experiment with
automatic translations. Recently, I had to do some nl -> en and I
realised I could very well understand some editors while others just
cant be understood.

When some one does not understand what you say, rephrase in a different
way, with other words. That might sound simple, but some people just
keep using similar sentence with similar words and construction. This is
not really a language issue, but a communication one.

 > Can I offend by being too simple?
Tricky...
We are all different...