[Foundation-l] Re: [WikiEN-l] proposed policy change - allow *certain* CC-licensed images on Wikipedia...

Angela sloog77 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 29 13:31:46 UTC 2004

 --- Robert Graham Merkel wrote:
> > I wish to propose that images available under
> *some* of the Creative
> > Commons licenses, that offer equivalent (or even
> more permissive) use
> > than the GNU FDL, be permitted to be used in
> Wikipedia.

If we accept fair use images, I see no reason not to
accept CC-licensed ones as well. We already have a lot
of images used under various CC licenses. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Special:Whatlinkshere&target=MediaWiki:Cc-by-sa
for example. Correct tagging of images used under
these licenses is very important so that reusers who
want only GFDL content can easily sort them out from
the rest. Adding a message such as {{cc-by-sa}} is the
easiest way of doing this. See [[Wikipedia:Image
copyright tags]] for more details.

Angela
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Angela