[Foundation-l] Re: PhatNav: "A Wikipedia"

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sat May 29 07:32:13 UTC 2004

Angela wrote:

> --- Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> wrote:
>

>>It is very poor form, at the very least,
>>for them to call themselves "A Wikipedia".
>>They may be a Wiki, they may be a Wiki Encyclopedia,
>>but they are not "A Wikipedia".
>>

>I have some excellent news. After contacting the
>Diagonal Media Group, the parent company of
>PhatNav.com, they have replaced the claim that they
>are "A Wikipedia" with a more appropriate title for
>their pages. Wikipedia, and the Wikimedia Foundation,
>are, of course, still linked to at the end of each
>page.

Excellent news indeed - thank you for your work, Angela. At least on
this occasion, nobody will be able to say that we don't protect our
trademarks. There remain, of course, the questions of whether, when, and
where to register those trademarks, an issue I expect the board will
take up once it is fully constituted.

--Michael Snow