[Foundation-l] announcement: german wikimedia association (verein) founded

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jun 16 01:57:42 UTC 2004

Elisabeth Bauer wrote:

> On sunday 13th of June German wikipedians founded a local wikimedia
> association in Berlin: the ''Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur
> Förderung Freien Wissens'' (''Wikimedia Germany - society for the
> promotion of free knowledge''). We had 34 founding members - among
> them friends of wikipedia and of course a lot of people of the german
> wikipedia.
>
> A board of trustees with ten members was elected, among them Kurt
> Jansson as chairman.

This is more a general issue, not specifically related to the Wikimedia
Deutschland meeting, but it came up so I figured this was a good time to
mention it.  I'd personally prefer if important things, like votes for
foundations, not take place at "in-person" meetings, because not all of
us have sufficient funds to attend such meetings.  Internet elections
are much more inclusive.  An exception would be if it were a local-only
organization, such as a "Wikimedia Amsterdam chapter", in which case
having a local meeting in Amsterdam would suffice.  But in this case it
seems to be a Germany-wide organization, which would bias it against
Germans who live far from Berlin and don't have much money to spend on
traveling to such meetings.  Or am I misunderstanding the setup?

-Mark