[Foundation-l] e-gold proposal

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Thu Dec 16 17:12:19 UTC 2004

I agree with Mav's recommendations and concerns.

I think the priority is going to be getting us set up with a merchant
account to be able to accept Visa and Mastercard and JCB.  We also
need to try to find out how to get a European bank account so that method
of payment can be done.

Daniel Mayer wrote:

> --- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > A proposal follows that is commercial in nature. I am posting it to this
> > list per the instructions of one of the Wikimedia Foundation Board members.
> > *****************
> > I would like to encourage the Wikimedia Foundation to:
> >
> >     * Accept e-gold www.e-gold.com donations,
> >     * Post a prominent link to the e-gold site, using syntax that would
> >       enable the Foundation to capture referral incentives.

> > Not knowing e-gold and aware of the imperfection of the paypal system, I read
> > with interest all comments offered on the matter before making my opinion.
> >
> > Since he is in charge of the matter, I think Mav opinion on the topic will be
> > of primary impact.
>
> I've looked into it a bit, but am still very confused on how this would work
> and whether the pool of people using e-gold is large enough to warrant our
> attention yet. I'm also very hesitant to add yet another third party handling
> our donations (presenting too many choices to people turns them away and having
> yet-another-account makes things more difficult for me to keep track of things
> - PayPal is very good at making this easy).
>
> What we need is a way by which the great majority of likely donors can donate
> easily. IMO, the PayPal/Moneybookers/mail donation set-up allows for that
> already. But I'm willing to listen and learn.
>
> -- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)

"La nèfle est un fruit." - first words of 50,000th article on fr.wikipedia.org