[Foundation-l] e-gold proposal

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 19:34:38 UTC 2004

--- Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A proposal follows that is commercial in nature. I am posting it to this
> list per the instructions of one of the Wikimedia Foundation Board members.
> *****************
> I would like to encourage the Wikimedia Foundation to:
>
>     * Accept e-gold www.e-gold.com donations,
>     * Post a prominent link to the e-gold site, using syntax that would
>       enable the Foundation to capture referral incentives.

> Not knowing e-gold and aware of the imperfection of the paypal system, I read
> with interest all comments offered on the matter before making my opinion.
>
> Since he is in charge of the matter, I think Mav opinion on the topic will be
> of primary impact.

I've looked into it a bit, but am still very confused on how this would work
and whether the pool of people using e-gold is large enough to warrant our
attention yet. I'm also very hesitant to add yet another third party handling
our donations (presenting too many choices to people turns them away and having
yet-another-account makes things more difficult for me to keep track of things
- PayPal is very good at making this easy).

What we need is a way by which the great majority of likely donors can donate
easily. IMO, the PayPal/Moneybookers/mail donation set-up allows for that
already. But I'm willing to listen and learn.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)