[Engineering] Selenium Ruby framework deprecation

Jon Robson jrobson at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 23 17:46:16 UTC 2017

Could I request that the time to switch over/support is increased a little?
Reading-Web are unlikely to meet this deadline, as we have various projects
that we'll need to ship over which have various tests (that may or may not
work in the new environment - it's not clear how complete the Node.js
libraries are). We have been reluctant to while we hadn't seen a example
showing how to do this for RelatedArticles
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T164024>.

This only truly happened today (the introduction of a daily build was the
remaining worry), thus took a little longer than hoped.

We're highly dependent on those browser tests, so extending the deadline
until at the very earliest the end of November but preferably the end of
December would be appreciated.

Thank you for your consideration!

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:22 PM Željko Filipin <zfilipin at wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> As announced in April[0], we are replacing Selenium tests written in Ruby
> with tests in Node.js. Now is the last responsible moment to make the move.
> There will be two more reminders, in September and October. In the
> meantime, only critical problems will be resolved in the Ruby stack. After
> October we will no longer maintain it. You can follow task T139740[1] for
> more information. Extensive documentation is available at mediawiki.org[2].
> If you need help with the migration, I am available for pairing and code
> review (zfilipin in Gerrit, zeljkof in #wikimedia-releng).
>
> Željko Filipin
> --
> 0:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/engineering/2017-April/000409.html