[Engineering] Scrum of Scrums - 2016-03-16

Greg Grossmeier greg at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 16 20:49:31 UTC 2016

on wiki: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2016-03-16

= 2016-03-16 =

== Product ==
=== Reading ===

==== iOS ====

* '''Updates''':
** 5.0.0 was released - all the new things
** 5.0.1 was submitted - fix all the new things that crashed

* '''Upcoming''':
** 5.0.1 - release (blocked on Apple review)
** 5.0.2 - a little bit of this and that, second round of bug fixes, some small functionality tweaks
** 5.1.0 - still in planning stage for some larger adjustments to some of the new 5.0.0 functionality

* '''Blocking''':
** nothing comes to mind atm

* '''Blocked''':
** 5.0.1 - release (blocked on Apple review)
** "mw-mobilefrontend-leadsection" leaking in to mobileview lead section (broke our transform but we pushed a workaround in 5.0.1)
** powering through 5.0.0 OTRS feedback firehose (not so much blocked as just time consuming) - digesting this feedback will inform what goes into 5.0.2 and 5.1.0
** this also isn't really a blocker, just something we'll need to do sometime in the future - audit mobile content service output for any android-specific bits which may need to be tweaked before iOS can adopt - i doubt there will be issues, but we'll need to check

==== Mobile Content Service ====
* '''Blocking''':
** None
* '''Blocked''':
** potential blocker: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118306 "File: pages of images stored on commons result in 404s". Would be really nice to get that one fixed before we roll out MCS usage to Android production app.
** We need a new Android prod app release for the roll out of MCS usage in Android production app
* '''Updates''':
** Considering starting roll out of MCS usage to Android production app next week since DC-switchover test is delayed until mid April. Might as well do it now.
** Working on fixing lead paraph transformation in the service.

==== Reading Infrastructure ====
* AuthManager is still coming! (see two weeks ago for details)
** Behind schedule though.

==== Android ====
* 2.1.143 beta coming soon.

=== Community Tech ===
* Numerical category sorting - Need to get https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/272416/ merged
* Pageview stats tool is basically finished, going to add support for redirects as well
* Deadlink logging interface for internet archive - http://tools.wmflabs.org/deadlinks/

=== Editing ===
==== Collaboration ====
* '''Blocking''':
** External Store - Continuing work.  Some local stuff merged that will help with testing.
* '''Blocked''':
** No new blockers.  Work on dump continues
* '''Updates''':
** Good feedback from cross-wiki notification roll out some far.
** Some small issues, e.g. people feeling spammed by welcome bots from wikis they visited one time (or maybe just a load.php reference).

==== Language ====
* '''Blocking''':
** None
* '''Blockers''':
** None
* '''Updates'''
** Work on improving ContentTranslation continue.

==== Multimedia ====
* '''Blocking'''
** None
* '''Blockers'''
** None
* '''Updates'''
** Another A/B test for the core upload dialog (esp. regarding VisualEditor uploads) to be released soon in an effort to reduce garbage uploads, heads up

== Discovery ==
* '''Blocked''':
** Security: SVG sanitizer
* '''Updates''':
** Completion suggester deployed on all wikis as default starting March 16th
** New portal improvements deployed
** Started weekly status updates: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Discovery/Status_updates
** Working on enabling encryption for search traffic
** Preparing for A/B test of phrase match boost for search

== Technology ==

=== Security ===
* Deploying 2FA to wikis next week (disabled for almost all users initially)
* Tarball release planned for next week

=== Research ===
* Blocking: none
* Blocked: none
* Updates: none

=== RelEng ===
* Blocking:
** Security wants to do a release of MW, working on timing
** Fundraising tech needs patch merged for jjb config, gerrit 277563
* Blocked: None
* Updates:
** Code freeze is not happening next week, April 18th instead. See wmfall, wikitech-l announcement coming today too.

=== Technical Operations ===
* Blocking: Research on ORES, started assigning LVS this week
* Blocked: none
* Updates:
** Jobqueue woes https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129517
** Got minor services (citoid, cxserver, mathoid, graphoid, apertium, zotero) working in CODFW

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* need one patch merged by RelEng: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/277563
* tested backup credit card processor for an hour
** fixing the bugs that shook out
* burst of DonationInterface refactoring
* draining some molasses out of the CentralNotice campaigns page
* testing strategies to make contact merges reversable in CiviCRM

=== Services ===
* Going to set up redirects for commons image description pages (blocker for mobile apps deployment):  https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T118306
* DC switch-over for RESTBase, node services happening tomorrow European morning (3 hours): https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127974
** Services already running in Dallas, Cassandra master-master replication
** No user impact expected
* REST API CDN caching: Most entry points now purged & cached in Varnish. Going to redirect titles with spaces to underscores next week.
* EventBus multi-DC support discussion wrapping up: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T127718
* "Pageviews" turns out to be disliked by ad blockers; working on alternative URLs for pageview API with analytics: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T126947

=== Analytics ===
* Working on goals for next quarter: will share soon with dependencies
* Finishing up work on the request breakdown reports to replace wikistats reports: OS and Browser breakdowns

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |