[Engineering] Change to SWAT deploy (aka "let's not break things")

Marko Obrovac mobrovac at wikimedia.org
Wed Jul 13 11:10:34 UTC 2016

Hello,

There is also an effort under way to include a testing spec in MW, so that
it can be tested against on each scap sync~[1]. Hopefully we will be able
to integrate it into the deployment process sooner rather than later. No
actual work has started on it yet, so if you have any ideas as to how to go
about it, please chime in!

Cheers,
Marko

On 13 July 2016 at 01:35, Greg Grossmeier <greg at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> For a while we've had the ability to test changes in production on a
> single host (mw1017) using a special HTTP header (X-Wikimedia-Debug).
> This has proved useful for many when deploying changes in production and
> we are adding it to the SWAT deploy process.
>
> See the steps at:
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/SWAT_deploys#Doing_the_deploy
>
> Namely:
> 4. After merge, the SWAT team member fetches the patch(es) to tin and then
>    runs scap pull on mw1017
> 5. The submitter tests the change by using the instructions at
>    X-Wikimedia-Debug#Staging_changes AND the SWAT team member checks the
>    error logs
> 6. If there are no errors and the fix seems to work (if testable in that
>    manner), then then SWAT team member deploys the patch to the entire
>    fleet
>
> How to test on mw1017:
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/X-Wikimedia-Debug#Staging_changes
>
> To less exciting SWAT deploys,
>
> Greg
>
> --
> | Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
> | identi.ca: @greg                A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |

Marko Obrovac, PhD
Senior Services Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation